Access the latest industry news, tips of the trade and new product reveals, conveniently in your inbox.
What causes plantar fasciitis?
The plantar fascia is a ligament that runs along the bottom of your foot from your heel to your toes. Pain in this area, referred to as plantar fasciitis, occurs after long periods of sitting or standing or stretching the plantar fascia too much. When the arch is lowered excessively, when walking for example, pressure is placed on the plantar fascia. Stress buildup will inevitably lead to inflammation and cause the pain you feel in your arch or heel.
1 in 5 people will experience foot pain in their lifetime. Those most at risk include:
- People with lots of wear-and-tear on their feet, particularly between the ages of 40 to 60
- Those who are highly active, have physically demanding jobs, or are sedentary for long periods of time
- People with flat feet or high arches
- Those who are overweight.1
- 1Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 2019
Symptoms of plantar fasciitis
The most common symptom is pain in the heel, often more severe when first waking up due to stiffness or tightness in the foot and/or calf at this time.
How to get rid of plantar fasciitis
Try some of the following remedies to help alleviate pain and prevent other long-term effects:
- Stretching the calf, toe and/or plantar fascia/arch
- Icing the painful area
- Wearing an insole to improve the foot’s position and reduce pain
- Consider working with a physical therapist to receive targeted treatment and strengthen the foot
- The most effective treatment for plantar fasciitis is to correct the mechanics of the foot. This can be done easily with the right orthotics. Wearing them in your shoes can improve alignment that creates the pain you are experiencing and ultimately reduce tension on the plantar fascia.
Where can I purchase my medi solution? Find one of our many authorized medi dealers near you. These true partners share the same values and commitment to excellence as medi.
Looking for a certain medi product solution? Our product catalog features a robust filtering system that enables you to search and find what you are looking for with ease.